WATSONVILLE—The newly constructed roundabout at the intersection of Highway 129 (Riverside Road) and Lakeview Road opened on Dec. 3 to through traffic.
Final roadway striping and a variety of construction details will be completed over the next few weeks, but the roadway and roundabout are now open to motor and pedestrian traffic, said Caltrans spokesperson Kevin Drabinski.
The $3 million project was completed by Dreambuilder Construction of Placentia, Calif.
“This intersection marks an important transition point from an urban to a rural setting, serves as a major commuter route and customarily carries significant volumes of truck and freight traffic,” Drabinski said.
Caltrans says it built the roundabout to reduce the number and severity of collisions at an intersection that has had numerous fatal and major injury crashes over the years. In addition, Drabinski says, the project should reduce delay and idling at the intersection, and will also decrease fuel consumption, emissions and noise.
The roundabout eliminates a stop sign on Lakeview Road where it ends at Hwy 129.
Caltrans also installed high-visibility pedestrian crosswalks, with flashing lights and signage.
Caltrans offers these tips for navigating a roundabout:
- While approaching, slow down.
- Yield to pedestrians and bicyclists crossing the roadway.
- Watch for signs and pavement markings that guide you or prohibit certain movements.
- Enter the roundabout when there is a big enough gap in traffic.
- Drive in a counterclockwise direction. Do not stop or pass other vehicles.
- Use your turn signals when you change lanes or exit the roundabout.
- If you miss your exit, continue around until you return to your exit.