Santa Cruz Warriors guard Scott Wood won the 2017 D-League Three-Point Contest on Saturday at the NBA All-Star weekend festivities in New Orleans with a score of 23 points in the final round.
“I’m really blessed for this opportunity,” Wood said in a press release. “Without the staff and players in Santa Cruz, I wouldn’t be here. I appreciate all of the fans that supported me throughout the way, and I appreciate everything that Santa Cruz has done for me.”
Wood scored 18 points in the preliminary round to move onto the final, which was held during the halftime of the D-League All-Star Game.
Wood tied for first place in the preliminary round with Devondrick Walker of the Delaware 87ers. In the final round Wood edged Walker’s final total of 21 points en route to the title.
• Salinas 51, MVC 48 – The Monte Vista Christian Mustangs lost their regular season finale, 51-48, to the Salinas Cowboys on Friday night.
Lucas Schmidt had 14 points and eight rebounds for MVC (13-8) and Miles Greene added 13 points and four boards.
MEN’S JC BASKETBALL
• Cabrillo 84, De Anza 74 – The Cabrillo College Seahawks finished up their regular season slate with an 84-74 win at De Anza College on Friday night in Coast Conference play.
Linton Acliese had 27 points and seven rebounds and Brett Reed added 12 points, 15 rebounds, seven assists and three steals for Cabrillo (19-7, 11-1), which won its eighth conference title in the last 11 years.
WOMEN’S JC BASKETBALL
• De Anza 85, Cabrillo 57 – The Cabrillo College Seahawks finished up their season at 12-12 overall after an 85-57 Coast Conference loss at De Anza College on Friday night.
Amber Martinez hit six 3-pointers and scored 25 points for the Seahawks.
• Delta 8, Cabrillo 5 – Rex Gomez drove in a pair of runs in the Cabrillo College Seahawks 8-5 loss to Delta College on Saturday in preseason action.
Clayton Andrews and Adam Rossit also had RBIs for Cabrillo (6-5), which plays at Diablo Vally on Thursday at 2 p.m.
• Aptos baseball field looking for name – Aptos High will hold a meeting on Thursday at 6:30 p.m. at the school’s campus in room I-204 to determine a name for its baseball field.
For information or suggestions, contact Aptos Athletic Director Mark Dorfman at [email protected]