Aptos High’s Marea Zlatunich started her senior track season with a pair of wins in the 800-meters and 1,600 in the Mariners’ Santa Cruz Coast Athletic League dual meet season opener against Scotts Valley High on Thursday.
Zlatunich completed the 800 in 2 minutes, 23.67 seconds and finished the 1,600 in 5:16.59. She also ran a leg for the winning 4×400 relay.
Aptos won 11 of the 16 events.
Senior Sachi Land won the girls long jump with a leap of 15 feet, 9 inches and helped the 4×100 relay team to a victory.
Junior Emma Burke was also on the winning 4×100 relay and sped to win in the 200 (29.19), too.
Mt. Madonna sophomore Paola Jacobs was first in the high jump (4-6) and shot put (27-3).
BOYS’ TRACK & FIELD
• Kadlecek leads Aptos – Jordan Kadlecek won the triple jump, long jump and high jump in Aptos High’s season opening Santa Cruz Coast Athletic League dual meet against Scotts Valley High on Thursday.
Kadlecek, a senior, recorded winning jumps of 39-9, 19-8.5 and 5-10 in the triple, long and high, respectively.
Senior Owen Mastropierto was a double-winner, taking first in the 110 hurdles (15.78) and 300 hurdles (42.15).
Aptos won 12 of 16 events.
• San Benito 3, Pajaro Valley 1 – Geovanny Barajas had 15 kills in Pajaro Valley High’s preseason loss to San Benito High on Thursday night.
Dennar Ocampo made 18 assists, while Edwin Chavez and Edwin Guzman each recorded nine digs.
The Grizzlies (6-4), who edged Gilroy High in five on Wednesday behind Barajas (21 kills, 5 aces) and Ocampo (32 assists, 4 aces) start up their Monterey Bay League Gabilan division season on Tuesday at home against Palma High at 6:30 p.m.
• Mt. Madonna 3, PCS 1 – Jordan Willis had nine kills from the middle and Brigg Busenhart added 16 kills from the outside, as Mt. Madonna knocked off defending SCCAL champ Pacific Collegiate School on Wednesday night in each team’s league opener.
Sage Turner had 17 digs.
• Monterey 5, MVC 2 – Garret Laine hit a triple and scored twice in Monte Vista Christian’s MBL-Gabilan division loss to Monterey High on Thursday at Sollecito Park in Monterey.
Marshall Silva and Jacob Beardsley dropped in runs for M.V.C.
• Alvarez 11, Aptos 2 – Will Murphy hit a double and scored a run for Aptos High in its preseason loss to Alvarez High on Thursday evening.
Curtis McMullen was 2-for-3.
Aptos (3-1) begins its SCCAL slate on Tuesday against San Lorenzo Valley High at 4 p.m.
• Cabrillo 17, Skyline 2 – Cabrillo College exploded for 23 hits, including six doubles and a triple, in its Coast Conference Pacific division game on Thursday afternoon in Aptos.
Ryan Juncker was 4-for-5 with a double, three RBIs and three scored runs. Easton Vidales smacked a three-run triple. Jake Keaschall went 3-for-4 with a double, two RBIs, a scored run and a walk.
Cabrillo (6-14, 1-1) travels to Skyline College today at 1 p.m.
• Cabrillo 8, Gavilan 0 – Miranda Janisch tossed a two-hit shutout over four innings to lead Cabrillo College to their Coast Conference South division win on Thursday.
The Seahawks (6-10, 2-1) scored all eight of their runs in the second inning.
Hana Lindenmuth had two RBIs for Cabrillo, which hosts Merced today in a double-header starting at noon.
• Alvarez 6, MVC 1 – Mitchell Markoff swept his No. 1 singles 6-3, 6-1 match in the Monte Vista Christian Mustangs’ loss to Alvarez High on Thursday.
• Tsunami holding tryouts – The Tsunami AAU basketball team is hold tryouts on March 25 at Watsonville High.
Tryouts begin at 10 a.m. for girls in high school, and 12:30 p.m. for sixth-eighth grade girls.