Watsonville junior wrestler Abel Pena went 3-2 in the 120-pound division of the California Interscholastic Federation state wrestling championship over the weekend in Bakersfield.
Pena, Watsonville’s first Central Coast Section champion in nine years, won his first two matches of the tournament, beating Clovis North’s Eric Rivera and Foothill’s Colton Stone on Friday, but lost his next match against Calvary Chapel’s Luciano Arroyo by a 6-1 decision.
He bounced back in his first match on Saturday morning, beating Fremont’s Angelo Reyes, the CCS runner-up, for the third time this season but was eliminated by Clovis’ Wyatt Cornelison.
• Aptos’ Woodley makes First Team – Aptos senior midfielder Kieran Woodley was named to the Santa Cruz Coast Athletic League’s First Team, the coaches from around the league announced on Sunday.
Woodley had 11 goals and six assists despite only playing in eight complete games this season because of injury.
Aptos seniors Callum Corboy and Daniel Govea and sophomore Bryan Palacios were honorable mentions, while St. Francis’ seniors Chris Copriviza, David Vasquez and junior Brandon Moakler were also named honorable mentions.
• Cabrillo 9, San Mateo 3 – The Cabrillo College Seahawks won their third straight game on Saturday at home, beating the College of San Mateo, 9-3.
Jairus Richards was 2-for-4 with a double, a triple, two RBIs and two scored runs for Cabrillo (9-8). Digger Gugale knocked in three runs, while Clayton Andrews, Rex Gomez and Sam Burns also drove in a run.
Brett de Geus picked up his third win of the season on the mound, tossing eight inning and allowing only five hits, three runs and a walk, while striking out seven.
Cabrillo opens up its Coast Conference Pacific division slate today at home against Gavilan College at 2 p.m.
• Watsonville 1, Pacheco 0 – The Watsonville Wildcatz edged Pacheco 1-0 on Saturday in a non-league game.
Watsonville (3-2) travels to Seaside on Wednesday to open up their Monterey Bay League Pacific division season against the Spartans at 3:30 p.m.
• Aptos 7, Santa Clara 2 – Timmy Harris went 2-for-4 with a double, two RBIs and a scored run in the Aptos Mariners’ 7-2 win over Santa Clara on Saturday in non-league action.
Forrest Hays also went 2-for-4 and scored a run at the plate and picked up the win on the mound after three innings of work. He allowed four hits and struck out three. Jake Keaschall doubled.
Aptos (2-1-1) hosts Alvarez today at 4 p.m.
• Aptos baseball field – Aptos High is hosting a second baseball field public-naming meeting on March 16 at the cafeteria at 6:30 p.m.
• MVC goes 1-2 – Monte Vista Christian won a game and dropped two at the Watsonville High Tournament on Saturday in Watsonville.
The Mustangs lost 11-0 to Carmel and 3-1 to Salinas but beat Pinewood 14-6.
Haley Hollingsworth hit a pair of triples in the win and Holland Finn, Rachel Vanni and Jessica Enriquez all doubled.
MVC (3-3-1) plays at Trinity Christian today at 3:30 p.m.
• Santa Cruz 114, Reno 107 – The Santa Cruz Warriors beat the Reno Bighorns 114-107 on Saturday night at Kaiser Permanente Arena.
Santa Cruz (22-17) hosts the Raptors 905 on Wednesday at 7 p.m.