The Aptos High Mariners won the rubber match, 4-3, against the Santa Cruz High Cardinals on Thursday to take the Santa Cruz Coast Athletic League’s lone qualifying berth for the Central Coast Section Team Championships.
Aptos and Santa Cruz finished the regular season with matching 9-1 records, forcing a co-SCCAL championship and Thursday’s play-off.
The Mariners will also send three players to the CCS Individual Tournament.
Junior Kourosh Safari won the SCCAL Singles Championship on Wednesday over Santa Cruz’s Jack Tierney and the doubles team of senior Jackson Ward and sophomore Carter Bond won the SCCAL Doubles Championship over Santa Cruz’s team of Stu Woodhams and Rowen Hunter.
Safari won 6-0, 7-5, while Ward and Bond notched a 6-1, 7-6 victory.
The CCS Team Tournament is scheduled to start on Wednesday and the section’s team tournament is set for May 16-17.
• Cabrillo 1, Hartnell 0 – The Cabrillo College Seahawks clinched second place in the Coast Conference Pacific division and their seventh straight postseason appearance on Thursday with a 1-0 win over Hartnell College.
Cooper Krug tossed seven shutout innings and allowed two hits.
Clayton Andrews had two hits at the plate and recorded the save on the mound, pitching 1 1-3 innings.
• St. Francis 2, Soquel 0 – The St. Francis High Sharks knocked off Soquel High 2-0 on Thursday in Santa Cruz Coast Athletic League play at home.
Chase Watkins was 2-for-3 and scored a run. Mario Velasquez scored on a wild pitch. Derric Estrada-Haro had an RBI double.
• MVC 10, Salinas 7 – Jackson Collins was 2-for-5 with a double, five RBIs and two scored runs in the Monte Vista Christian Mustangs’ 10-7 win over the Salinas High Cowboys on Thursday in Monterey Bay League Gabilan division action.
Tyler Clark drove in two runs and picked up the win on the mound after allowing two hits over 2 1-3 innings of relief of starter Lucas Schmidt, who went 3 2-3 innings. Schmidt scattered six hits and allowed three earned runs.
Dylan McPhillips, Cody Paresa and Jacob Beardsley all scored a pair of runs.
• Watsonville 4, Alisal 1 – Gio Gonzalez allowed only one hit over seven innings to carry Watsonville High over Alisal High to an important 4-1 Monterey Bay League Pacific division win on Wednesday night in Watsonville.
Gonzalez walked three, hit a batter and struck out nine for Watsonville. JoJo Vargas was 2-for-3 with two scored runs and a double. Ryan Rivera and Clayton Galassi also doubled. Gonzalez scored a run.
Watsonville is back in action on Wednesday at North Monterey County High at 4 p.m.
• Watsonville 8, Gilroy 0 – Jessica Rodriguez threw a complete-game, three-hit shutout to lead the Watsonville High Wildcatz past the Gilroy High Mustangs, 8-0, on Thursday in Monterey Bay League Gabilan division action on the road.
Juliana Wilson was 3-for-3 with a pair of doubles, two RBIs, two scored runs and a walk. Citlalli Barragan finished 2-for-4 with two RBIs. Zaira Pena tripled, while Savanah Quintana and Nicole Wilson doubled.
Watsonville (19-2, 7-2) travels to Christopher High on Tuesday at 4:30 p.m.
• Alvarez 4, MVC 3 – The Monte Vista Christian Mustangs late rally fell short in a 4-3 Monterey Bay League Pacific division loss to Alvarez High on Wednesday.
Drew Barragan and Isabel Hollingsworth each hit a double and drove in a run for the MVC, while Samantha Baer had a pair of singles.
• Aptos 4, Santa Cruz 1 – Julia Cano recorded a complete-game, no-hitter for the Aptos High Mariners in their 4-1 Santa Cruz Coast Athletic League win over Santa Cruz High on Thursday.
Ashley Del Colletti was 4-for-4 with a double and Cano finished 2-for-4 with two RBIs.
Aptos (6-13, 3-4) hosts Pacific Grove High today at noon.
• Pajaro Valley 3, Soledad 0 – Ruben Garcia had 27 assists, six aces and seven kills for the Pajaro Valley High Grizzlies in their 25-4, 25-8, 25-11 sweep of Soledad High on Thursday night.
Rafael Betancourt had a career-high 17 kills and added three aces. Esteban Fernandez finished with nine kills.
Pajaro Valley (16-5, 9-1) hosts Seaside High on Tuesday at 6:30 p.m.
• Aptos 3, Harbor 0 – The Aptos High Mariners swept the Harbor High Pirates 25-23, 25-16, 25-19 on Wednesday night in Santa Cruz Coast Athletic League play.
Michael Spinelli had 18 assists, Kacey Losik added 12 assists, 11 kills and three blocks and Jayson Guy chimed in with 10 kills and one block.
• St. Francis 269, Harbor 272 – The St. Francis High Sharks beat the Harbor High Pirates on Thursday in Santa Cruz Coast Athletic League action at Spring Hills Golf Course in Watsonville.
St. Francis High’s Izzie Mendez was the medalist with a 48. Jason Kane (49) also scored under 50.
BOY’S TRACK AND FIELD
• Pardue sets top mark – Aptos High senior Danner Pardue raced to a personal record in the 100-meters, completing the sprint in 11.05 seconds on Thursday in a Santa Cruz Coast Athletic League dual meet against St. Francis High and San Lorenzo Valley High.
St. Francis sophomore Justin Parker also set personal bests in two events. He reset his school records in the 100 (11.37) and 200 (23.18), taking first in the latter event.
Fellow Shark Carson Cuzick won the shot put with a personal best toss of 43 feet, 1 inch.
• Watsonville 115, Pajaro Valley 16; Watsonville 71, Christopher 64; Christopher 118, Pajaro Valley 8 – The Watsonville High Wildcatz picked up a pair of Monterey Bay League Pacific division dual meet win on Thursday, beating Christopher High and Pajaro Valley High.
Watsonville’s Issac Ruiz won the 800- (2 minutes, 11.24 seconds), 1,600- (4:47.32) and 3,200-meters (10:49.98).
Teammate Jesse Mandujano also won three events, taking first in the 400 (55.23), 100 hurdles (19.15) and 300 hurdles (48.2).
GIRL’S TRACK AND FIELD
• Mitchell wins two – Aptos High freshman Brynn Mitchell won the 300-meter hurdles and triple jump in the Mariners Santa Cruz Coast Athletic League dual meet against St. Francis High and San Lorenzo Valley High on Thursday.
Mitchell completed the hurdles in a personal best time of 50.35 seconds and leapt 33 feet, 10.5 inches in the triple jump.
Teammate, sophomore Emma Burke, ran a personal best in the 100 (13.04) to take first in the event.
St. Francis junior Chloe Deleiseguess reset her school record in the 200 (27.18) and ran a personal best in the 400 (1:03.17).
• Watsonville 107, Pajaro Valley 22; Watsonville 81, Christopher 50; Christopher 98, Pajaro Valley 24 – The Watsonville High Wildcatz finished their Monterey Bay League Pacific division dual meet season with a perfect 6-0 record following Thursday night’s two wins over Christopher High and Pajaro Valley High.
Watsonville’s Daniela Salazar was a double-winner, taking the 400- (1:03.11) and 800-meters (2:37.98).