The Cabrillo College Seahawks were given the No. 11 seed in the upcoming California Community College Athletic Association Northern California Regional and are set to play No. 7 Merced College in a best-of-three series.
Game 1 is set for Friday at Merced at 4 p.m. Game 2 and, if necessary, Game 3 will be on Saturday at 11 a.m. and 3 p.m., respectively, back in Merced.
Cabrillo (27-13) closed out the regular season by losing two of its final three games to finish second in the Coast Conference Pacific division but is believed to be one of the most talented teams in Northern California. The Seahawks, who will be making their school record seventh straight playoff appearance, boasted their talent this season by recording wins over top-seeded College of San Mateo, No. 3 Ohlone College and No. 5 Delta College, among others.
• MVC 6, Christopher 1 – Ian Koenig tossed six shutout innings to lead the Monte Vista Christian Mustangs to a key 6-1 Monterey Bay League Gabilan division win over Christopher High on Friday. The victory leaves them two wins shy of clinching no-worse than a fifth-place finish in the league, which would guarantee the Mustangs (10-10, 6-9) a playoff spot.
Koenig scattered six hits over his six innings before giving way to Daniel Glenn, who finished off the final frame with a pair of strikeouts.
Dylan McPhillips hit a two-run home run and scored a pair a runs. Jackson Collins was 2-for-3 with a double, two RBIs and a scored run. Cody Paresa also went 2-for-3 while driving in a run and scoring one, too.
MVC continues its final regular-season stretch today at Palma High at 4 p.m.
• Watsonville 12, Pajaro Valley 0 – Maximilian Ramirez IV did it all to lead the Watsonville High Wildcatz to a five-inning 12-0 Monterey Bay League Pacific division win over cross-city rival Pajaro Valley High on Friday.
Ramirez tossed a no-hitter on the mound with five strikeouts and went 2-for-3 with a double and two RBIs at the plate. Ryan Rivera was 2-for-2 with two RBIs and a double. JoJo Vargas finished 2-for-3 with two RBIs and two scored runs.
Watsonville (15-7, 11-3) travels to Castroville to play North Monterey County High on Wednesday at 4 p.m.
• Soquel 11, St. Francis 7 – The St. Francis High Sharks’ chances of three-peating as Santa Cruz Coast Athletic League champions took a hit on Friday with an 11-7 loss to Soquel High.
Derric Estrada-Haro was 2-for-4 with a grand slam and David Talavera also went 2-for-4.
St. Francis (8-11, 4-4), now in fourth place in the SCCAL standings, plays at Aptos High today at 4 p.m.
• MVC 12, Seaside 9 – The Monte Vista Christian Mustangs edged the Seaside High Spartans, 12-9, on Friday night in Monterey Bay League Pacific division action.
Marisa Angulo was 3-for-3 with a double, two RBIs and a scored run. Drew Barragan finished 3-for-4 with an RBI and two scored runs.
MVC (10-8-1, 4-4) plays Salinas High on Wednesday at 4:30 p.m. at the Salinas Sports Complex.
• Aptos 3, Santa Cruz 0 – The Aptos High Mariners swept the Santa Cruz High Cardinals 25-11, 25-21, 25-11 on Friday night to close out their Santa Cruz Coast Athletic League season with 10 straight wins.
Kacey Losik had nine kills, seven assists, six digs, three blocks and five aces for Aptos (16-5, 12-2), which is the No. 2 seed in the SCCAL tournament and will play their first match of the tournament in Thursday night’s semifinal round at Harbor High.
Jayson Guy added seven kills and six digs, Michael Spinelli chimed in with 11 assists and Bryce Edwards had nine assists.
BOY’S TRACK AND FIELD
• Four locals win at Soquel – Watsonville High’s Jose Villanueva and Aptos High’s Danner Pardue, Ethan Rasmussen and Alex Austen all took first in their respective events at the Soquel Invitational on Saturday.
Villanueva won the triple jump with a leap of 40 feet, 3.25 inches.
Pardue sped to a victory in the 100-meters with a time of 11.41 seconds.
Austen’s toss of 41-1 won the shot put and Rasmussen took first in the discus at 132-2.
GIRL’S TRACK AND FIELD
• Aptos relay wins – The Aptos High 4×100 relay team of Lauren Inman, Shiori Oki, Faith Dennis and Emma Burke raced to first place at the Soquel Invitational with a time of 50.72 seconds on Saturday.
Fellow Mariner Brynn Mitchell, a freshman, won the long jump with a leap of 15 feet, 7 inches. Mitchell also took second in the triple jump (34-5.5).