Watsonville High sophomore golfer Maximilian Ramirez IV was named the Monterey Bay League Pacific division’s Most Valuable Player for the second straight season after his year wrapped up on Monday.
Ramirez fired an 84 at Monday’s MBL Championships at Laguna Seca Golf Ranch in Monterey to finish second in the MBL-P but failed to qualify for the CCS Championships.
• Aptos 10, St. Francis 1 – David Reckers threw six no-hit innings to lead the Aptos High Mariners past the St. Francis High Sharks, 10-1, on Tuesday in Santa Cruz Coast Athletic League action in Aptos.
Reckers walked seven but struck out nine batters and allowed no earned runs to notch the win for Aptos (13-8-1, 4-5), which plays at Scotts Valley High on Friday at 4:30 p.m.
Jake Keaschall was 3-for-4 with a double and a scored run. Tate Stone-Hinds went 2-for-3 with a double, four RBIs, two scored runs and a walk. Brian Sakoda was 2-for-4 with two RBIs. Reckers also scored a pair of runs.
Derric Estrada-Haro scored the Sharks’ lone run.
• Palma 8, MVC 2 – The Monte Vista Christian Mustangs lost 8-2 to the Palma High Chieftains on Tuesday in Monterey Bay League Gabilan division play.
MVC (10-11, 6-10) hosts Gilroy High on Friday at 4 p.m.
• Christopher 1, Watsonville 0 – The Watsonville High Wildcatz suffered their third loss of the season on Tuesday, falling 1-0 to the Christopher High Cougars in Monterey Bay League Gabilan division action.
Watsonville (19-3, 7-3) hosts San Benito High today at 4:30 p.m.
• Alvarez 11, MVC 8 – The Monte Vista Christian Mustangs’ late rally fell short in an 11-8 Monterey Bay League Pacific division loss to Alvarez High on Monday.
Drew Barragan scored twice and Mariah Gonzalez was 2-for-3 with two RBIs and a scored run.
• Mt. Madonna 3, Santa Cruz 0 – Zac Clark and Luca Peruzzi each had nine kills for the Mt. Madonna Hawks in their 25-9, 25-13, 25-7 sweep over Santa Cruz High in the quarterfinal round of the Santa Cruz Coast Athletic League tournament on Tuesday in Santa Cruz.
Mt. Madonna, the No. 3 seed, plays Aptos High, the No. 2 seed, today at 5:30 p.m. at Harbor High.
• Pajaro Valley 3, Seaside 0 – The Pajaro Valley High Grizzlies inched closer to clinching the Monterey Bay League Pacific division title outright with a 25-15, 25-20, 25-19 sweep over Seaside High on Tuesday.
Rafael Betancourt had 14 kills and six digs, Geovanny Barajas added 12 kills and three aces and Ruben Garcia chimed in with 26 assists and two aces.
Pajaro Valley (19-10, 10-1) will try to secure the program’s first-ever league title today at Monte Vista Christian at 6:30 p.m.
• Aptos players face tough challenge – Aptos High singles player Kourosh Safari, the Santa Cruz Coast Athletic League champion, drew top-seeded Mukund Madabhushi, of Leland High, in the first round of the Central Coast Section Singles Championships.
Safari will meet the big challenge on May 16 at 10 a.m. at Imperial Courts in Aptos.
In the CCS Doubles Championships, the Mariners team of Carter Bond and Jackson Ward, which won the SCCAL Doubles title, takes on Harker High’s team of Edward Tischler and Ramanand Begesma on the same time, date and location.
TRACK AND FIELD
• Solorzano sets school record – Pajaro Valley High sophomore sprinter Jayleen Solorzano broke the school record in the 100-meters with a time of 13.32 seconds at Tuesday’s Monterey Bay League Pacific division trials at Christopher High in Gilroy.
Solorzano also set the school’s record in the 200 (28.24) earlier this season.