This week’s edition of the Pajaronian Sports Ticker highlights local prep athletes for their performances during the week of Dec. 12-18.
Coaches and athletic directors are encouraged to submit scores and stats to [email protected]. Follow sports editor Juan Reyes on Twitter at @jmreyes831 for score and news updates.
Preps of the Week
- Boys: Aptos High junior Eddie Alvarez scored three goals in two games for the Mariners boys’ soccer team including a crushing 6-0 win over Monterey High in non-league action on Dec. 14. The standout striker has 11 goals in six matches played for Aptos (4-2), which begins Santa Cruz Coast Athletic League play at Soquel on Jan. 3 at 7pm.
- Girls: Watsonville High senior Nancy Morado recorded a double-double, notching 10 points and 10 steals for the Wildcatz girls’ basketball team in a 40-34 come-from-behind victory over Soledad in non-league on Dec. 13 night. Morado added six rebounds and three assists for Watsonville (5-4), which will compete in the St. Francis High Lady Shark Shootout on Dec. 28.
- Aptos High’s Kai Walsh, Kaleb Palscencia, Daniel Lozano and Koko Banks each scored a goal for the Mariners boys’ soccer team in a 6-0 win over Monterey High in non-league action on Dec. 14.
- Aptos High goalkeepers Alessandra Zuniga and Evelyn Pini each had eight saves for the Mariners girls’ soccer team in a 1-1 draw against Valley Christian in non-league play Dec. 17. Angelique Nunez scored in the 31st minute for Aptos off a deflection from Valley Christian’s goalkeeper. The Mariners (4-2-1) will host Piedmont on Dec. 27 at 7pm.
- Aptos High freshman Abby Sherwood recorded a double-double, notching 10 points and 13 rebounds for the Mariners girls’ basketball team in their opener against Soledad, 41-39, at the North Salinas High Tournament on Dec. 15. Junior guard Laurel Southall contributed 11 points and five steals for Aptos (2-6), which plays at Carmel on Friday at 6pm.
- Pajaro Valley High’s Leilani Vazquez, Leslie Carrisoza, Kylie Monetenz and Alondra Chavez each recorded one goal for the Grizzlies girls’ soccer team in a 4-0 crushing win over St. Francis in non-league action Dec. 16. Pajaro Valley (5-3-1) will host Monte Vista Christian (1-4-2) in the teams’ PCAL Mission Division opener Jan. 6.
- St. Francis High juniors Nash Horton and Junior Ibarra each had 21 points for the Sharks boys’ basketball team in their 81-25 win over Kirby on Dec. 14. Joseph Rose added 11 points, while fellow teammates Christian Magana and Adam Hernandez had 8 for the Sharks (3-3), who play Pajaro Valley on Wednesday.
- Watsonville High’s Isabella Love had 10 points and four rebounds for the Wildcatz girls’ basketball team in a 40-34 win over Soledad on Dec. 13. Fellow freshman teammate Stephanie Martinez added five points, five steals, four rebounds and a pair of assists for Watsonville.
Games of the Week
- Watsonville vs. Scotts Valley, boys basketball, Tuesday at 7pm: The Wildcatz (3-6) will head into their preseason finale against a fast but short-handed Falcons (5-3) team that is missing some key players.
- Pajaro Valley vs. St. Francis, boys basketball, Wednesday at 7pm: The Sharks (3-3) are hoping to extend their three game win-streak on the road against the Grizzlies (0-4), who is looking to get in the win column for the first time this season.
- Pajaro Valley vs. Watsonville, boys soccer, Friday at 3pm: The Grizzlies (1-0-2) will host the cross-town rival Wildcatz (1-3-1) in a battle for bragging rights for the rest of the season. Both teams are also looking to get on the winning track before the PCAL season begins in January.
News and Notes
St. Francis High in Watsonville is in need of a varsity softball coach, which is a stipend position with the season running from January to May. To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to Athletic Director John Ausman at: [email protected]