This week’s edition of the Pajaronian Sports Ticker highlights local prep athletes for their performances during the week of Feb. 6-12.
Coaches and athletic directors are encouraged to submit scores and stats to [email protected]. Follow sports editor Juan Reyes on Twitter @jmreyes831 for scores and news updates.
Preps of the Week
Boys: Aptos High junior Eddie Alvarez recorded a hat trick with three goals for the Mariners boys’ soccer team in its 6-0 crushing win over Soquel High in Santa Cruz Coast Athletic League action Feb. 9. Alvarez finished with a team-best 17 goals and had four assists, including one in a 2-0 win against Santa Cruz in league play Feb. 7. With the win, Aptos placed second with an 8-2-0 record in SCCAL play and clinched an automatic berth to the Central Coast Section postseason.
Girls: Watsonville High senior Xitlali Montesino finished with a team-best 20 points for the Wildcatz girls’ basketball team in its 59-45 win over Carmel High in Pacific Coast Athletic League Gabilan Division action Feb. 9. She also had 11 rebounds and nine assists to help the ‘Catz earn their first league win of the season. Montesino followed up 14 points, nine rebounds, six assists and five steals in Saturday’s 45-26 victory over Salinas High, giving Watsonville back-to-back wins in Gabilan play.
- Aptos High’s Esteban Garcia, Kaleb Plascencia and Carlos Gutierrez each scored one goal for the Mariners boys’ soccer team in its 6-0 crushing win over Soquel High in SCCAL action Feb. 9. Sophomore goalkeeper Noah Curran recorded his eighth clean sheet this season for Aptos (13-6-0, 8-2-0).
- Aptos High junior Kaitlyn Murphy scored the lone goal for the Mariners girls’ soccer team in its 1-0 win over Soquel High in SCCAL action on Feb. 7. Sophomore goalkeeper Alessandra Zuniga had one save in the first half and Evelyn Pini had three saves in the second half for Aptos (13-4-1, 9-1-0).
- Pajaro Valley High senior Jorge Elias finished with 25 points for the Grizzlies boys’ basketball team in its 72-51 win over Trinity Christian in PCAL Santa Lucia Division action Feb. 8. Fellow teammates Eric Montero and Andrew Salazar each added 11 points, while Matthew Silos had 10 points for the Grizzlies (10-10, 10-2), who will host Anzar High on Tuesday at 7pm.
- Pajaro Valley High sophomore Kristof Garcia knocked in a pair of penalty kicks to help the Grizzlies boys’ soccer team get past Rancho San Juan High, 3-2, in PCAL Cypress Division action on Feb. 6. Fellow teammate Johan Vazquez scored the game’s first goal in the 10th minute, while goalkeeper Damien Rodriguez finished with four saves for Pajaro Valley (14-1-4, 9-1-1), which will play at North Monterey County (6-8-3, 6-4-1) on Tuesday at 5:45pm.
- St. Francis High sophomore Nash Horton finished with a team-best 19 points for the Sharks boys’ basketball team in its 73-35 smashing win over Gonzales in PCAL Cypress Division action Feb. 9. Fellow junior teammates Joseph Rose had 16 points and Sam Braun scored 14, while Christian Johnson made two 3-pointers for St. Francis (17-6, 12-1), which won the league championship and an automatic CCS postseason berth. The Sharks play at Marina in the regular season finale on Tuesday at 7pm.
- St. Francis High junior Emily Raich had 15 points for the Sharks girls’ basketball team in its 43-33 win over Gilroy High in non-league action Feb. 8. Fellow teammate Isabella Fury finished with 13 points for the Sharks (6-16, 1-8), who will host North Monterey County on Tuesday at 7pm.
- St. Francis High’s Claire Croghan, Monse Ramirez, Miriam Abonce, Alondra Martinez and Claire Burke each recorded one goal for the Sharks girls’ soccer team in its 5-0 win over Santa Catalina School in PCAL Cypress Division action Feb. 6.
- Watsonville High senior Kaylani Trout-Lacy had 14 points for the Wildcatz girls’ basketball team in its 59-45 win over Carmel High in PCAL Gabilan Division action Feb. 9. Fellow teammate Iliana Garcia contributed nine points for the Wildcatz (9-14, 2-7).
Games of the Week
- Pajaro Valley at North Monterey County, boys soccer, Tuesday at 5:45pm: The Grizzlies (14-1-4, 9-1-1) are on the cusp on winning the PCAL Cypress Division crown but they need to get past a Condors (6-8-3, 6-4-1) team that’s looking to keep their CCS postseason hopes alive with an upset victory or a draw.
- Pajaro Valley vs. Anzar, boys basketball, Tuesday at 7pm: The Grizzlies (11-10, 11-2) have a chance to close out the PCAL Santa Lucia Division season on a high note and play spoiler against a Hawks (15-4, 13-0) squad that has yet to lose in league play.
- CCS Masters, high school wrestling, Saturday at 9am: Watsonville High will host this year’s CCS Masters featuring the best boys and girls wrestlers that qualified from last weekend’s Southern and Northern Regionals.