This week’s edition of the Pajaronian Sports Ticker highlights local prep athletes for their performances during the week of Nov. 28 – Dec. 3.
Coaches and athletic directors are encouraged to submit scores and stats to [email protected]
Preps of the Week
- Boys: Aptos High junior Eddie Alvarez scored a pair of goals and had an assist for the Mariners boys’ soccer team in their 3-0 non-league win over Watsonville High on Nov. 29. He currently has a team-high six goals and four assists for Aptos (2-1-0).
- Girls: Watsonville High senior Xitlali Montesino averaged 13.5 points in four games for the Wildcatz (4-2) girls basketball team, who placed second at the 42nd Watsonville Wildcatz Girls Basketball Tournament on Dec. 3.
- Aptos High junior Ella Shoemaker recorded a pair of goals and an assist for the Mariners girls’ soccer team in its 4-0 win over North Salinas in non-league action Dec. 3. Alexa Castañeda and Emma Ingram each scored for Aptos, which improved to 2-0-0 this season.
- Aptos High junior Janie Houser went 4-0 to win the 137-pound division in the Lady Royal Tournament at Overfelt High on Dec. 3. Fellow teammate Mikayla Santaella took fourth in the 170-pound division.
- Monte Vista Christian senior James Ponzio placed 15th in 16:00.90 and Aptos High senior Trent Nosky (16:14.80) took 35th in the boys Silver Division 5k race at the Garmin RunningLane Cross Country Championships in Huntsville, Alabama on Dec. 3.
Games of the Week
- Aptos vs. Watsonville, girls soccer, Tuesday at 7pm: The Mariners (2-0-0) and Wildcatz (0-1-1) will clash in non-league action for a chance at bragging rights for the rest of the season.
- Watsonville High Boys Basketball Tournament: The Wildcatz will host their annual four-day basketball tournament featuring local teams such as Ceiba College Prep, St. Francis, San Lorenzo Valley and Scotts Valley. The tourney tips off with Watsonville against Ceiba on Wednesday at 3:30pm.
- Watsonville vs. North Monterey County, boys soccer, Tuesday at 6:45pm: The Wildcatz (1-1-0) will try to get back on track in a non-league battle against the Condors (0-1-1), who are looking to get their first win of the season.