This week’s edition of the Pajaronian Sports Ticker highlights local prep athletes for their performances during the week of March 20-26.
Coaches and athletic directors are encouraged to submit scores and stats to [email protected]. Follow sports editor Juan Reyes on Twitter @jmreyes831 for scores and news updates.
Preps of the Week
Boys: Monte Vista Christian senior Jojo Keldsen recorded a no-hitter and a grand slam for the Mustangs baseball team in its 14-2 win over Watsonville High in Pacific Coast Athletic League Mission Division action on March 25. He recorded five strikeouts in the no-hitter, giving him 40 on the season and improved to a 3-1 overall record on the mound. Keldsen also hit a home run in a 5-0 win against the Wildcatz in Game No. 2 of a doubleheader.
Girls: Aptos High senior Kailani Aguayo drove in the game winning run for the Mariners’ softball team with a walk-off base hit in its 10-9 win in extra innings over Scotts Valley in Santa Cruz Coast Athletic League action March 24. She batted 3-for-4 with an RBI and a pair of runs scored for Aptos.
- Aptos High junior Mileena Carbajal batted 2-for-4 with an RBI and a run scored for the Mariners softball team in its 10-9 win over Scotts Valley in SCCAL action March 24. Fellow teammate sophomore Bailey Fulton batted 2-for-3 with an RBI and two runs scored for Aptos.
- Aptos High’s Ben Nowark and Andrew Cox both earned medalist honors after they shot a 41 for the Mariners boys’ golf team in a 213-262 win over Santa Cruz High in Santa Cruz Coast Athletic League action at Seascape Golf Club on March 23. Fellow teammate Lucke Garvey shot a 42, followed by Tyler Grosdidier (44) and Colby Culbertson (45) for Aptos (3-0).
- Aptos High senior outside hitter Jackson Miller finished with nine kills, three digs and a pair of aces for the Mariners boys’ volleyball team in a four set (25-17, 23-25, 28-26, 28-26) win over Soquel High in SCCAL play on March 23. Fellow teammate sophomore middle blocker Jackson Bloom recorded seven blocks and a pair of kills, while senior outside hitter Chuy Muñoz finished with 11 kills and two digs for Aptos.
Games of the Week
- Aptos vs. Santa Cruz, baseball, Friday at 4:30pm: The Mariners (5-3, 3-1) will attempt to bounce back against the SCCAL rival Cardinals after Aptos suffered its first loss in league play to Harbor on Monday.
- St. Francis vs. Pacific Grove, softball, Friday at 4:30pm: The Sharks are hoping to get a chance to step on the field for the first time this season in a PCAL Mission Division meeting against the Breakers.
- Watsonville at North Monterey County, baseball, Saturday at 1pm: The Wildcatz (3-4, 2-2) will travel to Castroville to take on a winless Condors (0-7, 0-4) that is searching for their first win of the season.