This week’s edition of the Pajaronian Sports Ticker highlights local prep athletes for their performances during the week of Jan. 16-22.
Coaches and athletic directors are encouraged to submit scores and stats to [email protected]. Follow sports editor Juan Reyes on Twitter @jmreyes831 for scores and news updates.
Preps of the Week
- Boys: Pajaro Valley High senior Ignacio Aguado recorded four goals and two assists for the Grizzlies boys’ soccer team in a 10-1 crushing win over Pacific Grove in Pacific Coast Athletic League Cypress Division action on Jan. 19. Aguado has a team-best nine goals for Pajaro Valley (9-0-3, 4-0-0), which will host Monte Vista Christian (4-4-3, 3-1-0) on Friday at 3pm.
- Girls: Girls basketball: Aptos freshman Abby Sherwood recorded a double-double for the Mariners in a 48-43 win over Soquel High in Santa Cruz Coast Athletic League action Friday night. Sherwood carried Aptos with her best game of the year, scoring 18 points and pulling down 10 rebounds. The Mariners (6-14, 2-4) will play at Harbor High (7-10, 0-6) on Tuesday at 6pm.
- Aptos High junior Eddie Alvarez recorded the hat trick with three goals and one assist for the Mariners in a 9-0 crushing win over Scotts Valley in SCCAL action on Jan. 17.
- Pajaro Valley High senior guard Jorge Elias scored a game-high 16 points for the Grizzlies boys’ basketball team in its 76-19 win over Kirby Prep in PCAL Santa Lucia Division action on Jan. 20. Fellow teammate junior Andrew Salazar added 11 points, and senior Matthew Silos and sophomore Anthony Aguirre each finished with 10 points for Pajaro Valley (4-8, 4-0), which will play at Anzar on Tuesday at 7pm.
- Pajaro Valley High junior Isaac Rojas finished with two goals and four assists for the Grizzlies boys’ soccer team in a 10-1 win over Pacific Grove in PCAL Cypress Division play on Jan. 19. Fellow teammates Jesus Alvarado, Johan Vazquez, Giovanni Bedolla and Daniel Murillo each scored one goal for Pajaro Valley (9-1-3, 4-1-0), which will play at Gonzales on Jan. 23 at 5:45pm.
- St. Francis High sophomore Nash Horton finished with a team-high 20 points for the Sharks boys’ basketball team in a 70-44 rout over Gonzales High in PCAL Cypress Division action on Jan. 20. Junior guard Junior Ibarra scored 18 points, while fellow teammates Sam Braun added 17 points and Joseph Rose had 8 points for St. Francis (9-6, 4-1), which will play at Marina High (11-3, 4-1) on Tuesday. Both games are slated for a 7pm tipoff.
- Watsonville High senior Manuel Cano connected with junior Emilio Mora on a beautiful pass for the header that ended up in the back of the net to help the Wildcatz boys’ soccer team to a 3-1 win over Salinas in PCAL Gabilan Division play Jan. 17. Jesus Vega recorded a goal and an assist on a pass to sophomore Tialoc Ledesma-Peña for a goal in the 35th minute for Watsonville (2-6-1, 2-2-0), which will host North Salinas High (8-1-2, 3-1-0) on Tuesday at 6:45pm.
Games of the Week
- Aptos at Harbor, boys soccer, Tuesday at 5pm: The Mariners (7-5-0, 3-1-0) are looking to hand the Pirates (11-1-2, 6-0-0) their first loss in SCCAL play and some redemption after losing at home in the teams’ league game nearly three weeks ago in Aptos.
- Pajaro Valley vs. York, boys basketball, Thursday at 7pm: The Grizzlies (4-8, 4-0) will attempt to extend their win streak in PCAL Santa Lucia Division play, starting with Tuesday’s meeting at Anzar (3-4, 2-0) and then a home game against the Falcons (0-2, 0-2) on Thursday.
- Pajaro Valley vs. Monte Vista Christian, boys soccer, Friday at 3pm: The Grizzlies (9-1-3, 4-1-0) will try to rebound following a tough loss at Gonzales, while the Mustangs (4-4-3, 3-1-0) are looking for a bit of redemption after 6-1 to Pajaro Valley on Jan. 6.