This week’s edition of the Pajaronian Sports Ticker highlights local prep athletes for their performances during the week of Jan. 9-15.
Coaches and athletic directors are encouraged to submit scores, stats and photos to [email protected]. Follow sports editor Juan Reyes on Twitter @jmreyes831 for scores and news updates.
Preps of the Week
- Boys: St. Francis High junior Sam Braun led the Sharks boys’ basketball team with 29 points including seven 3-pointers in a 68-61 win over King City in Pacific Coast Athletic League Cypress Division play Jan. 12. Braun is averaging 30 points per game in three games played since making his debut last week against Greenfield where he hit the go-ahead shot with four seconds left in the game. The Sharks (7-5, 2-0) are scheduled to host North Salinas on Wednesday at 7pm.
- Girls: Pajaro Valley High junior Thalia Blue had a game-high 21 points for the Grizzlies girls’ basketball team in a 42-30 win over Pacific Collegiate in PCAL Santa Lucia play Jan 12. Blue also had six rebounds, two assists and one block for Pajaro Valley, which saw action on the court for the first time since its non-league game against Alvarez on Dec. 20. The Grizzlies (7-7, 1-0) will host Gonzales on Friday at 7pm.
- Aptos High senior Trevor Brady and sophomore Isaiah Ackerman each had 16 points for the Mariners boys’ basketball team in a 57-36 win over San Lorenzo Valley in Santa Cruz Coast Athletic League action Jan. 13. Fellow teammates Tosh Woods added eight points, and both Ryan Solorio and Johnny Cornejo each had six points for Aptos (11-7, 3-1), which will host Scotts Valley on Tuesday at 7:30pm.
- Aptos High junior Laurel Southall scored a team-high 19 points for the Mariners girls’ basketball team in a 54-48 loss to San Lorenzo Valley in SCCAL action Jan. 13. Fellow junior teammate Guin Lines had 11 points, followed by Abbey Sherwood with 9 points for Aptos (4-13, 1-3), which will host Scotts Valley on Tuesday at 6pm.
- Aptos High’s Kaleb Plascencia, Luve Granstrom and Eddie Alvarez each scored goals in the second half to help lift the Mariners boys’ soccer team past San Lorenzo Valley, 3-0, in SCCAL play Jan. 13. Ben Baker was credited with an assist for Aptos (6-5, 1-1), who host Scotts Valley on Tuesday at 7pm.
- Aptos High goalkeepers Evelyn Pini and Alessandra Zuniga each had one save for the Mariners girls soccer team in a 6-0 shutout win over San Lorenzo Valley in SCCAL action Jan. 13. Fellow teammates Alexa Castañeda, Isabella Graft, Ava Churchill, Gwen Chapman, Ella Shoemaker and Angelique Nuñez each recorded one goal for Aptos. Churchill and fellow teammate Kaitlyn Murphy each recorded a pair of assists for the Mariners (6-3-1, 2-0-0), who host Scotts Valley on Tuesday at 5pm.
- Pajaro Valley High senior Annel Andrade added 11 points for Pajaro valley (7-7, 1-0), The Grizzlies will host Gonzales on Friday at 7pm.
- St. Francis High senior Joseph Rose finished with 20 points and four 3-pointers for the Sharks boys’ basketball team in a 68-61 win over King City in PCAL Cypress Division play Jan. 12. Fellow teammates Junior Ibarra added 10, Nash Horton had six points and Christian Magaña had 11 rebounds, five of which were on the offensive side.
Games of the Week
- Aptos vs. Scotts Valley, boys basketball, Tuesday at 7:30pm: The Mariners (11-7, 3-1) will attempt to stay atop of the SCCAL standings against a Falcons (9-9, 2-2) team that has won two straight league games.
- PCAL Mission Meet at Watsonville High, wrestling, Wednesday at 5pm: The Wildcatz will see some league action for the first time this season when King City and Alvarez high schools come into town for a Mission Division showdown.
- Aptos vs. Soquel, girls soccer, Thursday at 7pm: The Mariners (6-3-1, 2-0-0) will attempt to stay unbeaten in SCCAL play against the league rival Knights (6-3-2, 1-0-2), who are also undefeated in league action this season.