This week’s edition of the Pajaronian Sports Ticker highlights local prep athletes for their performances during the week of Jan. 2-8.
Coaches and athletic directors are encouraged to submit scores and stats to [email protected]. Follow sports editor Juan Reyes on Twitter @jmreyes831 for scores and news updates.
Preps of the Week
- Boys: St. Francis High junior guard Sam Braun made quite the debut with the Sharks boys’ basketball team by hitting eight 3-pointers in a 44-41 win over Greenfield in Pacific Coast Athletic League Cypress Division play on Jan. 5. He made the go-ahead score with four seconds left to play in the game. Braun followed up with a game-high 35 points including seven 3-pointers in a 74-47 non-league win over Pacific Collegiate School on Jan. 7.
- Girls: Watsonville High senior Xitlali Montesino set a school record 32 points for Watsonville High in a 68-35 win over King City in non-league action on Jan. 6. She broke the previous single-game scoring record of 31 points that was set by Selina Green in 2004. Montesino also tallied 14 rebounds, 11 steals and nine assists in her triple-double performance for the ‘Catz (7-8, 0-1), who host Salinas on Wednesday at 7pm.
- Aptos High junior Guin Lines had 14 points to lead the Mariners girls’ basketball team to a 50-21 victory over Harbor in Santa Cruz Coast Athletic League action on Jan. 6. Berkeley Ashby contributed eight points and eight rebounds for the Mariners (4-10, 1-0), who play at Santa Cruz (9-5, 1-0) on Tuesday at 6pm.
- North Monterey County High juniors Damian Hernandez and Ryan Ruiz each scored two goals for the Condors boys’ soccer team in a 7-0 shutout win over Pacific Grove in PCAL Cypress Division action on Jan. 6. Rafael Rocha, Luis Herrera and Neil Torculas each added one goal for NMC (1-4-2, 1-0-0), which will host Pajaro Valley on Tuesday at 5:45pm.
- Pajaro Valley High’s Ryan Salazar had 20 points, five rebounds and five steals for the Grizzlies boys’ basketball team in a 58-37 win over Ceiba in PCAL Santa Lucia Division action Jan. 6. Jonathan Parra added 10 points, six assists and five rebounds for the Pajaro Valley (2-9, 1-0), which will play Pacific Collegiate on Thursday at 7pm.
- Pajaro Valley High junior Isaac Rojas recorded two goals and two assists for Pajaro Valley in its crushing 6-1 win over Monte Vista Christian in PCAL Cypress Division action Jan. 6. Fellow teammates Ignacio Aguado, Jesus Alvarado, Salvador Mora and Fernando Torres each had one goal, and Mario Rocha tallied a pair of assists for the Grizzlies (6-0-3, 1-0-0), who play at North Monterey County (1-4-2, 1-0-0) on Tuesday at 5:45pm.
- St. Francis High sophomore Nash Horton and junior Joseph Rose each scored 10 points for the Sharks in a 74-47 non-league win over Pacific Collegiate School on Jan. 7. The Sharks (6-5, 1-0) will play at King City in PCAL Cypress Division action on Thursday at 7pm.
- St. Francis High junior Emily Raich led the way with nine points for Sharks girls’ basketball team in its 30-26 non-league win over Stevenson on Jan. 6. The Sharks (4-9, 0-1) will return to PCAL Santa Lucia action at Seaside (3-1) on Tuesday at 7pm.
- Watsonville High senior Ozzy Bolanos records 11 points for the Wildcatz boys’ basketball team in a 67-52 win over Gonzales in PCAL Cypress Division action on Jan. 5. Senior guard Tajin Olivas added 10 points for the ‘Catz (5-7, 2-0), who will host Rancho San Juan on Friday at 7pm.
- Watsonville High senior Kaylani Trout-Lacey finished with 14 points, 10 rebounds and three steals for the Wildcatz girls basketball team in a 68-35 win over King City in non-league action on Jan. 6.
Games of the Week
- Pajaro Valley at North Monterey County, boys soccer, Tuesday at 5:45pm: The Grizzlies (6-0-3, 1-0-0) will attempt to keep their undefeated overall record intact against a young Condors (1-4-2, 1-0-0) that is ready to turn some heads this season.
- Watsonville vs. Salinas, girls basketball, Wednesday at 7pm: The Wildcatz (7-8, 0-1) are looking to bounce back in league play after a tough loss to North Salinas in the teams’ PCAL Gabilan Division opener on Jan. 3.
- Watsonville vs. Rancho San Juan, boys basketball, Friday at 7pm: The Wildcatz (5-7, 2-0) will attempt to stay unbeaten in league play with a meeting against the Trailblazers (7-4, 0-1), who are coming off a tough loss against Marina on Jan. 6.