This week’s edition of the Pajaronian Sports Ticker highlights local prep athletes for their performances during the week of Jan. 29-Feb. 3.
Coaches and athletic directors are encouraged to submit scores and highlights to [email protected]. Follow sports editor Juan Reyes (@jmreyes831) on Twitter for scores and news updates.
Preps of the Week
Boys: St. Francis senior Thiago Caetano recorded four goals in two games for the Sharks boys’ soccer team, including three scores in a 6-0 blowout win against Oakwood School in league play Jan. 30. The standout forward currently has seven goals and five assists this season for St. Francis, which is currently atop of the Pacific Coast Athletic League Santa Lucia Division with an 9-0-1 record in league play. They play at Pacific Grove on Friday at 5pm.
Girls: St. Francis High freshman Maya Calfee scored a season-high 37 points to go along with six rebounds, five assists, seven steals and one block in a smashing 69-31 victory over King City in league action Jan. 31. Calfee has an average of 15.6 points and 8.2 rebounds this season for the Sharks, who currently sit atop of the PCAL Cypress Division standings with a perfect 11-0 record in league play. They will play at North Monterey County High (14-5, 9-2) on Thursday at 7pm.
- Aptos High junior Berkeley Ashby and freshman guard Gabby Wickham continue to have outstanding seasons for the Mariners girls’ basketball. Ashby has an average of 7.1 rebounds and 5.1 points per game, while Wickham is leading the team with an average of 14.4 points per contest.
- St. Francis High senior Elias Garcia and sophomore Liam Rawson have been a pair of scoring machines for the Sharks boys’ soccer team this season. Garcia leads the team with 13 goals, while Rawson is not far behind with 11 goals and four assists.
- Watsonville High sophomore Stephanie Martinez recorded a career-high 19 points to go along with 4 rebounds and 3 steals for the Wildcatz girls basketball team in a 59-52 loss to Monterey High in PCAL Gabilan Division action Jan. 31. Martinez has an average of 6.4 points and 4.5 rebounds per game this season.
Games to Watch
- Aptos at Harbor, boys soccer, Friday at 4pm: The Mariners (12-3-1, 6-1) are looking for some redemption after falling twice to the Santa Cruz Coast Athletic League defending champion Pirates (11-3-3, 5-1-2) last season. This match could put Aptos over the hump and en route to a league crown.
- Pajaro Valley at Monte Vista Christian, girls soccer, Friday at 5:45pm: It’ll come down to the PCAL Mission Division season finale between the Grizzlies (8-5-3, 7-1-3) and Mustangs (10-6-3, 8-3) to determine who will earn second place; and an automatic berth to the Central Coast Section playoffs.
- CCS Southern Regional, boys and girls wrestling, Saturday at 9am: Watsonville High School will play host once again for this year’s Central Coast Section Southern Regional wrestling tournament, featuring the best boys and girls wrestlers from all the leagues within the section.