This week’s edition of the Pajaronian Sports Ticker highlights local prep athletes for their performances during the week of May 1-6.
Coaches and athletic directors are encouraged to submit scores and stats to [email protected]. Follow sports editor Juan Reyes on Twitter @jmreyes831 for scores and news updates.
Preps of the Week
Boys: Watsonville High senior Adan Rivas placed third in the 100 meters in 11.00 seconds and fifth in the 200 (22.63) race at the Pacific Coast Athletic League Track and Field Masters Meet on May 6. He also helped the Wildcatz’s 4×100 and 4×400 relay teams place fifth (45.01) and fourth (3 minutes, 34.90 seconds), respectively. Rivas and his teammates qualified for the Central Coast Section semifinals at Gilroy High School on Saturday at 10am.
Girls: St. Francis High junior Aaliysah Gomez racked up eight hits and eight stolen bases in three Pacific Coast Athletic League Mission Division games for the Sharks’ softball team. She recorded a pair of base hits against Gonzales on May 1, and batted 3-for-3 with four stolen bases against Stevenson on May 2 and had the same statline (3-for-3, four steals) against Santa Catalina on May 4. Gomez also set a personal record on three consecutive jumps in the triple jump at last week’s PCAL Track and Field Masters Meet. She started with a leap of 32 feet, 1 inch, followed by jumps of 32-6 and finally 32-8 to qualify for the Central Coast Section semifinals at Gilroy High School on Saturday at 10am.
- Aptos High’s Jewels Chavez batted 4-for-4 with a pair of RBIs and one run scored for the Mariners softball team in its 5-2 win over Scotts Valley High in Santa Cruz Coast Athletic League action May 5. Fellow teammates Bailey Fulton batted 2-for-3 with one run, Lilly McGee had one base hit and recorded an RBI and pitcher Mileena Carbajal recorded five strikeouts and gave up one earned run on four hits for Aptos.
- Watsonville High’s Miguel Lopez batted 3-for-4 with two RBIs and one run scored for the Wildcatz baseball team in its 9-8 win over Alisal High in PCAL Mission Division action May 4. Fellow teammates Rudolph Valdez, Aiden Rodriguez, Abraham Bonilla and Edgar Ramirez each had multiple hits and one RBI for Watsonville.
Games of the Week
- CCS Semifinals, track and field, Saturday at 10am: The best athletes in the Central Coast Section will gather up to compete in their respective event at Gilroy High School to see who can qualify for the championship round, which is slated for May 20.
- Aptos vs. Bellarmine, baseball, Friday at 4pm: Santa Cruz Coast Athletic League champion Mariners will take on a difficult Bells team—ranked No. 4 in the Central Coast Section—in their regular season finale prior to the CCS postseason, which begins next week.
- Monte Vista Christian at San Lorenzo Valley, softball, Friday at 4pm: Pacific Coast Athletic League Cypress Division co-champion Mustangs will travel to Felton for their regular season finale to play against the SCCAL champion Cougars in a battle of league champions.