This week’s edition of the Pajaronian Sports Ticker highlights local prep athletes for their performances during the week of April 24-30.
Coaches and athletic directors are encouraged to submit scores and stats to [email protected]. Follow sports editor Juan Reyes on Twitter @jmreyes831 for scores and news updates.
Preps of the Week
Boys: Watsonville High junior Brody Legions batted 3-for-4 with a pair of doubles, two RBIs and scored twice for the Wildcatz baseball team in its 6-5 win over King City High in Pacific Coast Athletic League Mission Division action April 25. Legions also finished with one base hit and scored one run, and recorded three strikeouts in relief of fellow teammate Josh Ybarra in their 6-5 win against the Mustangs in league play April 27. Watsonville (6-10, 5-7) will play at North Salinas on May 8 at 4pm.
Girls: Monte Vista Christian sophomore Kayla Fullalove-Silveira batted 11-for-17 in five games played last week for the Mustangs softball team. She racked up two home runs, four doubles, one triple, five runs scored and 15 RBIs, helping lead MVC to three wins in Pacific Coast Athletic League Cypress Division play and take sole possession of second place in the league standings. Fullalove-Silveira was also named the Cal-Hi Sports Northern California Softball Player of the Week for her performance on the field for the Mustangs (13-9, 10-1), who will host Marina High on May 8 at 4pm.
- Aptos High’s Riley Carrera had three hits including two doubles, three RBIs and scored twice for the Mariners softball team in a 14-1 crushing win over Santa Cruz High in SCCAL play April 25. Fellow teammates Jewels Chavez had a pair of hits including a triple and scored twice, Kailani Aguayo had two base hits and a pair of RBIs and Mileena Carbajal had two hits and scored twice for Aptos (11-9, 9-3), which will host Scotts Valley High on Friday at 4:30pm.
- Aptos High senior rightside Roberto Munoz finished with 13 kills, seven blocks and four aces for the Mariners boys’ volleyball team in a five-set [25-18, 25-21, 26-24, 25-19, 15-11] barnburner victory over Soquel High in SCCAL play on April 25. Fellow teammates junior setter Anthony Smith contributed 38 assists and three kills and senior outside hitter Alonzo Munoz had 13 kills and a pair of digs. Sophomore middle blocker Jackson Bloom recorded nine blocks and six kills including the game winning kill in the fifth set for Aptos, which finished the regular season with a 10-10 overall record and a 5-5 record in league play.
- Scotts Valley High junior Quinn Turowski finished with a pair of hits, one RBI and a stolen base for the Falcons baseball team in a 2-1 loss to Harbor High in SCCAL action. Fellow teammates Jack Abel hit a triple and Corbin Giesen stayed on the mound for six innings, allowing three hits and one earned run for the Falcons. Giesen produced 13 ground balls for outs and the defense didn’t commit an error. Senior pitcher Ryan Hall threw back-to-back scoreless innings in the 7th and 8th for Scotts Valley (8-12, 3-9), which plays at Aptos (16-5, 11-1) on Friday at 4:30pm.
- San Lorenzo Valley High junior Olivia Renouf recorded a pair of RBIs and one base hit for the Cougars softball team in a 7-1 win over Aptos High in SCCAL play April 27. Fellow teammates Cheyenne Owen, Angie Fulkerson, Ali Reger, Andrea Oropeza and Gracie Potson each finished with one base hit for SLV (15-2, 11-0), which is hoping to keep its unblemished record in league play intact at Harbor on Friday at 4:30pm.
- St. Francis High junior Aaliysah Gomez batted 3-for-4 with a triple and scored twice for the Sharks softball team in its 5-5 tie against Santa Catalina School in PCAL Mission Division action April 24. Fellow teammates Nevaeh Litel, Brisea Raygoza and Gianna Calderon each recorded an RBI for St. Francis (0-9-1), which will host Gonzales on May 8 at 4pm.
- Watsonville High junior pitcher Josh Ybarra recorded eight strikeouts in a 6-5 win over King City High in PCAL Mission Division action April 27. Ybarra allowed five earned runs on one hit and eight walks in 5.2 innings of work, while fellow teammates Zander Miller-Brown, Aiden Rodriguez and Abraham Bonilla each recorded at least one double and one RBI for Watsonville (6-10, 5-7), which plays at North Salinas on May 8 at 4pm.
- Watsonville High junior Aiden Rodriguez and senior Nathaniel Arreola each had a pair of base hits and an RBI for the Wildcatz baseball team in its 6-5 win over King City High in league action April 25. Arreola also put in some work on the mound by throwing for seven innings, allowing four earned runs on seven hits and three walks.
Games of the Week
- SCCAL Championships, track and field, Friday at 4pm: The best track and field athletes within the Santa Cruz Coast Athletic League will gather one last time at Santa Cruz High to determine who is the best in their respective event.
- PCAL Masters Meet, track and field, Saturday at 10am: The Pacific Coast Athletic League will gather dozens of the best athletes from four divisions: Gabilan, Mission, Cypress and Santa Lucia for one last meet at Pacific Grove High School to battle for a spot into the Central Coast Section Championships.
- SCCAL Finals, girls beach volleyball, Friday at 4:30pm: The two best teams in the Santa Cruz Coast Athletic League will get together at Main Beach in Santa Cruz to determine this year’s league champion.