This week’s edition of the Pajaronian Sports Ticker highlights local prep athletes for their performances during the week of Jan. 23-29.
Coaches and athletic directors are encouraged to submit scores and stats to [email protected]. Follow sports editor Juan Reyes on Twitter @jmreyes831 for scores and news updates.
Preps of the Week
• Boys: Watsonville High senior Karlos Corpus made a clutch 3-pointer with 4.8 seconds left in the game to help lift the Wildcatz boys’ basketball team past King City, 60-57, in Pacific Coast Athletic League Cypress Division play on Jan. 25. He had 17 points in the ‘Catz’s 59-48 win over Rancho San Juan on Jan. 26, followed by a 16-point performance including three 3-pointers in a 57-50 win over North Salinas the following day. Watsonville (11-7, 8-0) won four league games in five days. They will host Gonzales on Tuesday at 7pm.
• Girls: Aptos High sophomore goalkeeper Alessandra Zuniga recorded two shutouts—and seventh this season—in back-to-back Santa Cruz Coast Athletic League victories against Harbor and Santa Cruz on Jan. 24 and 27, respectively. She made three saves in a 1-0 win over Harbor and a pair of saves in a 2-0 victory over Santa Cruz, putting the Mariners well ahead in the SCCAL standings with a 6-0-0 record in league play. Aptos (10-3-1, 6-0-0) will host Scotts Valley on Friday at 7pm.
- Aptos High junior Eddie Alvarez scored twice for the Mariners boys’ soccer team in a 3-0 win over Santa Cruz High in SCCAL action Jan. 27. Fellow teammate Diego Tiran was credited with both assists and Alvarez was credited with an assist on a goal scored by Nami Banks in the 48th minute for Aptos (9-6, 4-2), which will play at San Lorenzo Valley on Tuesday at 3:30pm.
- Aptos High senior Catalina Ontiveros and junior Angelique Nunez each scored for the Mariners girls’ soccer team in a 2-0 win over Santa Cruz in SCCAL action Jan. 27. Aptos (10-3-1, 6-0-0) will host Scotts Valley on Thursday at 7pm.
- Pajaro Valley High seniors Annel Andrade and Natasha Santana each finished with 16 points for the Grizzlies girls’ basketball team in its 46-25 win over Marina High in PCAL Santa Lucia action on Jan. 24. The Grizzlies (9-8, 3-1) will play at Santa Catalina on Tuesday at 7pm.
- Pajaro Valley High senior Johan Vasquez scored three goals for the Grizzlies boys’ soccer team in a 6-2 win over Monte Vista Christian in PCAL Cypress Division action on Jan. 27. Alex Bonilla, Jesus Alvarado and Daniel Murillo each scored one goal, and Isaac Rojas recorded three assists for Pajaro Valley. Ignacio Aguado and Efrain Martinez also had an assist, and goalkeeper Damian Rodriguez had five saves for the Grizzlies (10-1-3, 5-1-0), who host Marina on Wednesday at 3:30pm.
- St. Francis sophomore Nash Horton led the Sharks boys’ basketball team in scoring with 28 points including four 3-pointers in an 87-59 victory against Rancho San Juan in PCAL Cypress Division action on Jan. 27. Junior forward Sam Braun added 25 points including five 3-pointers, and fellow teammate Joseph Rose scored 19 points including five 3-pointers for St. Francis (11-6, 6-1), which will host Greenfield on Tuesday at 7pm.
- Watsonville High junior center Brody Legions finished with 15 points for the Wildcatz boys’ basketball team in a 57-50 win over North Salinas in PCAL Cypress Division action on Jan. 27. Fellow senior teammate Tajin Olivas added 12 points, Nathan Aguilar had 13 and Ozzy Bolanos finished with 10 points in a 59-48 win over Rancho San Juan in league play. The ‘Catz will host Gonzales (1-15, 0-8) on Tuesday at 7pm.
Games of the Week
- Watsonville vs. St. Francis, boys basketball, Thursday at 7pm: The Wildcatz (11-7, 8-0) stole the first meeting at the Shark Tank in last week’s thriller that went down to the wire. The Sharks (11-6, 6-1) are looking for redemption for their lone league loss of the season and hoping to steal one at the ‘Catz Den.
- Aptos vs. Scotts Valley, girls soccer, Thursday at 7pm: The Mariners (10-3-1, 6-0-0) will attempt to capture the SCCAL crown with a victory over the Falcons (5-5-4, 3-2-2), who will try to play the role of spoiler and keep their Central Coast Section playoff hopes alive.
- Monte Vista Christian vs. Rancho San Juan, girls soccer, Thursday at 5:45pm: The Mustangs (5-6-3, 4-2-1) are very much alive in the race for the PCAL Mission Division crown and they will meet with the Trailblazers (7-4-2, 4-1-1), who are right alongside them in the league standings.