This week’s edition of the Pajaronian Sports Ticker highlights local prep athletes for their performances during the week of Dec. 19-25.
Coaches and athletic directors are encouraged to submit scores and stats to [email protected]. Follow sports editor Juan Reyes on Twitter @jmreyes831 for score and news updates.
Preps of the Week
- Boys: Watsonville High senior Tajin Olivas had a team-high 18 points including four 3-pointers, six rebounds and three steals for the Wildcatz boys’ basketball team in an 83-81 double overtime loss to Scotts Valley on Dec. 20.
- Girls: Aptos High freshman Abby Sherwood led the way with nine points for Mariners girls’ basketball team in a 50-25 loss to Carmel in non-league play Dec. 23.
- Aptos High juniors Laurel Southall had eight points and Guin Lines had six steals for the Mariners girls’ basketball team in a 50-25 loss to Carmel in non-league play Dec. 23. Aptos (2-9) will play Alameda in the Santa Cruz Warriors/Aptos High Nor Cal Invitational at Kaiser Permanente Arena in Santa Cruz on Wednesday at 12:30pm.
- Pajaro Valley High’s Andrew Salazar and Jonathan Parra each had eight points in a 47-36 loss to St. Francis on Dec. 21. Matt Silos added six pts, Jorge Elias had five points and Ryan Salazar finished with four for Pajaro Valley (0-6), which will begin Pacific Coast Athletic League Santa Lucia Division play at York School on Jan. 4 at 7pm.
- Pajaro Valley High’s Danny Murillo, Ignacio Aguado and Jesus Alvarado each scored for the Grizzlies boys’ soccer team in a 3-1 win over cross-town rival Watsonville in non-league action Dec. 23. Isaac Rojas had a pair of assists and Giovanni Bedolla had one for Pajaro Valley (4-0-2), which will play at Palma on Wednesday at 2pm and Aptos on Thursday at 7pm to close out the preseason.
- St. Francis High’s Nash Horton and Christian Magaña each had 10 points for Sharks boys’ basketball team in a 47-36 win over Pajaro Valley in non-league action Dec. 21. Aiden Andrade added nine points, Diego Ramirez and Junior Ibarra each had six points and Adam Hernandez had five points for St. Francis(4-3), which will tip off PCAL Cypress Division play at home against Rancho San Juan on Jan. 4 at 7pm.
- Watsonville High senior Karlos Corpus had 15 points for the Wildcatz boys’ basketball team in an 83-81 double overtime loss to Scotts Valley on Dec. 20. Fellow teammates Nathan Aguilar had 11 points and Brody Legions added 10 for Watsonville (3-7), which begins PCAL Cypress Division play at North Salinas (1-5) on Jan. 3 at 7pm.
Games of the Week
- Lady Shark Shootout, girls basketball, Wednesday-Thursday: The St. Francis High girls’ basketball team will host an eight-team tournament featuring schools such as Monte Vista Christian, Watsonville, San Lorenzo Valley and Scotts Valley. The tourney opener between the Wildcatz and Mustangs is slated to tip off Wednesday at 9am.
- Santa Cruz Warriors/Aptos High NorCal Invitational, basketball, Wednesday-Thursday: The action continues Wednesday for both the Mariners boys’ and girls’ basketball teams at Kaiser Permanente Arena in Santa Cruz . The tournament championship round will be at Aptos High on Thursday with the first consolation game at 9:30am.
- Pat Lovell Holiday Classic, wrestling, Wednesday at 9am: Monte Vista Christian sophomore Rykin Resurreccion is scheduled to battle in the 138-pound weight division quarterfinals in the final day of the annual Pat Lovell Holiday Classic at Aptos High School. The wrestling tournament featured nearly 60 schools from the Central Coast Section, including Monte Vista Christian, Pajaro Valley, St. Francis, Scotts Valley and Watsonville.