The Cover 3 Sports Ticker highlights pivotal matchups in the Games of the Week, and provides updates on local athletes in the Local Stars and Pajaro Valley Little League sections.
Games of the Week
- PCAL Championships, track and field, Friday at 4pm: A group of local athletes will compete at the Pacific Coast Athletic League Championships. The Mission Division final is at Christopher High and the Cypress Division final is at Pacific Grove High.
- St. Francis vs. Aptos, softball, Friday at 4:30pm: The Sharks (15-5, 5-3) will host the Mariners (10-7, 6-3) in non-league action just before both teams hit the final stretch of league play.
- Watsonville vs. Seaside, boys volleyball, Tuesday at 6:30pm: The Wildcatz (8-3, 8-0) will attempt to finish the regular season undefeated in PCAL Mission Division play against a strong Spartans (6-5, 5-1) team that’s looking to spoil the festivities.
- Aptos High senior pitcher Gabe Gaeckle recorded eight strikeouts in four innings and batted 2-for-4 with a double and an RBI for the Mariners baseball team in its 17-4 crushing win against Soquel in Santa Cruz Coast Athletic League action Tuesday.
- Monte Vista Christian senior Clayton King won the discus with a personal-best throw of 150 feet at the Central Coast Section Top 8 Meet at Los Gatos on April 23. It’s the second longest throw in the CCS this season behind Silver Creek sophomore Kyler Headley at 150-01.
- North Monterey County senior catcher Dejalei Visesio had two hits including a home run for the Condors softball team in its 6-1 win over St. Francis in PCAL Mission Division play Monday.
- St. Francis High senior pitcher Alicia Mendez recorded seven strikeouts and batted 1-for-3 with two RBIs for the Sharks softball team in its 3-1 win against Stevenson in PCAL Mission Division action Wednesday.
- Watsonville High senior pitcher Dominic Hernandez gave up one run and recorded eight strikeouts for the Wildcatz baseball team in its 8-1 win against Alisal in PCAL Mission Division play Monday.
Pajaro Valley Little League
- Giants 9, Nationals 4: Nico Walter had three base hits including an inside-the-park home run and three RBIs for the Giants (4-7) in their win April 23. Nico Galvan finished with a pair of base hits for the Giants, and fellow teammate Bryce Ruiz had two base hits including a triple. Jr Valenzuela had a double for Nationals (10-1), who suffered their first loss of the season.
- Rockies 19, Athletics 7: Chris Sigala had two base hits including a triple and four runs scored for the Rockies (5-5) in their win April 23. Joziah Abrego had a triple and four runs for the Rockies. Fellow teammates Eduardo Castaneda scored three runs, Brody Barto had two RBIs and Aaron Martinez had a triple.
- Nationals 3, Twins 1: Tyler Brooks finished with a home run, a double and two RBIs for the Nationals in their win April 22. Brooks and Jared Verdia combined for a no-hitter, giving up one run and two walks while recording 14 strikeouts. J.J. Martinez gave up one unearned run for the Twins (7-3).
- Rockies 14, Athletics 10: Brody Barto scored three runs for Rockies in their win April 20. Matthew Huizar, Sebastian Padilla and Justin Curiel each scored two runs for the Athletics (0-10).
- Twins 8, Giants 7: Shane McCoy had a pair of base hits including a double and two RBIs for the Twins in their win on April 19. Layla Romero had two base hits and two RBIs for the Giants, and fellow teammate Nico Walter had a double.
Coaches are encouraged to report scores and highlights to [email protected] following games. Please include your name and contact number in the email.