The Aptos High boys’ volleyball team completed its Santa Cruz Coast Athletic League season with a 12-25, 25-23, 25-23, 26-24 win over Pacific Collegiate School in the league tournament championship match at Harbor High on Friday night.
The win locked in Aptos (25-4) as the outright SCCAL champion, having posted a 13-1 record through the league’s regular season to win its third title over the last four seasons.
Kacey Losik had 21 kills and 12 digs, Jordan Notari had 10 kills and 12 digs and Michael Spinelli made 40 assists. Noah Eitzen added five kills and five blocks and Jackson Shirley chipped in nine kills.
• Aptos 8, Palma 7 – Jack Hegerle had three goals and two assists, Patrick Peoples and Blake Welle added two goals and two assists apiece and Aptos completed its season with an 8-7 win over Palma High on Saturday in Salinas.
Aptos finished the season 12-2 overall and captured its first league championship since 2014, winning the Mission Trail Athletic League “A”-division.
Palma (12-5-2) had won the MTAL-“B” division.
“Perfect end to a great season!” Aptos head coach David Rosenow wrote in an email.
Will Patterson dished three assists and scored a goal. Goalie Matthew Quinn and defenders Koya Oki and twin brothers Darian and Joseph Gutierrez-Lee played well down the stretch to preserve the win.
The Mariners finished the year on a 12-game win streak.
JC BEACH WOMEN’S VOLLEYBALL
• Cabrillo pairs advance – All three of Cabrillo College’s pairs advanced from Friday’s CCCAA beach volleyball prelims to this weekend’s state championships.
Alex Bol and Mari Molina, Deirdre Wilson and Hayley Hall and Kendra Lis and Alena Fernandez will all return to West Valley College for the state tournament, which is set to start at 8 a.m. on Friday and conclude on Saturday afternoon.
Bol-Molina went 4-0 in the prelims and took down teammates Hall-Wilson in the final. Lis-Fernandez finished 2-2 but placed sixth to advance.
Cabrillo, the undefeated Coast Conference champion, will also participate in the team tournament on Thursday at West Valley at 9 a.m.
• NMC 3, Watsonville 0 – Jordan Larva struck out seven over six innings in North Monterey County High’s MBL-P win over Watsonville High on Friday night.
Wyatt Ramos was 2-for-3 at the plate for N.M.C.
For Watsonville, pitcher Gio Gonzalez had two hits at the plate and took the loss on senior night despite allowing only three hits on the mound.
• MVC 9, Elliot Christian 0 – Samantha Baer tossed a shutout and recorded her 100th strikeout of the season in the Monte Vista Christian Mustangs’ Saturday afternoon non-league win.
Baer struck out 15 batters and allowed only two hits.
Jessica Enriquez and Mariah Gonzalez each had three of the Mustangs (6-16-1) 10 hits.
M.V.C. also beat Pajaro Valley High, 22-3, on Friday in Monterey Bay League Pacific division action. Isabell Hollingsworth hit a grand slam. Kirsten Pederson tripled and had three RBIs. Baer doubled and walked three times.
The Mustangs close out their season on Wednesday at home against Alisal High at 4:30 p.m.
• Aptos 8, Saratoga 7 – Allie Diaz hit a homer in Aptos’ non-league win over Saratoga High on Saturday.
Mariah Sanchez was 2-for-3 with an RBI and a scored run for Aptos (12-8, 9-0), which welcomes in St. Francis High today at 4 p.m.