SANTA CRUZ COUNTY—With just one week until election day, Santa Cruz County voters still have plenty of options of what to do with their completed ballot.
It’s important to know that it is not necessary to mark every section. Leaving an option blank—or even marking only one—will not invalidate your ballot.
Santa Cruz County Clerk Gail Pellerin says that a record number of county voters—more than 168,000—received ballots in the mail this year, joining voters across California in a first-of-its-kind effort to slow the spread of Covid-19 by allowing voting from home.
Once ballots are ready to mail, they can be dropped off in one of 15 boxes stationed throughout the county and open around the clock.
Voters can also take their ballots to the City Clerk’s offices in Watsonville and Santa Cruz, and the County Clerk’s office.
A drop-off box is also located at Simpkin’s Swim Center in Live Oak.
On Oct. 31, the county is planning to open 16 sites throughout the county, where voters can get replacement ballots, register to vote and then vote on the same day. They can also turn in their ballots at those locations.
Those who want to mail their ballot should make sure they are postmarked by Nov. 3 by going into the post office to have them stamped, Pellerin said.
Local drop box locations
- Public Library; 7695 Soquel Dr.
- Polo Grounds; 2255 Huntington Dr.
- Cabrillo College in Aptos, by football stadium; 3732 Cabrillo College Dr.
- Parking lot 14; 316 Rodriguez St.
- County Health Center parking lot; 1430 Freedom Blvd.
- Corralitos Community Center parking lot; 35 Browns Valley Rd.
Local in-person voting locations
- Temple Beth El; 3055 Porter Gulch Rd.
- Watsonville City Community Room; 275 Main St., 4th Floor (voting began at this location on Oct. 5)
- Pajaro Valley Community Trust; 85 Nielson St.
- La Selva Beach Clubhouse; 314 Estrella Ave.
- Santa Cruz County Fairgrounds; 2601 East Lake Ave.
- Calabasas Elementary School; 202 Calabasas Rd.
Other County drop box locations
• Highlands Park; 8500 Hwy. 9
• Public Library; 13390 W. Park Ave.
- City Hall parking lot; 420 Capitola Ave.
- Mall, near Capitola Road entrance; 1855 41st Ave.
- Covered Bridge Park parking lot; Mount Hermon/Graham Hill roads
- County Building; 701 Ocean St.
- Parking Lot 16 next to public library; 212 Church St.
- UC Santa Cruz Quarry Plaza
- City Hall parking lot; 1 Civic Center Dr.
Indoor drop off locations
- County Elections: 701 Ocean St., Room 310, Santa Cruz
- Santa Cruz City Clerk: 809 Center St., Santa Cruz
- Simpkins Swim Center: 979 17th Ave., Santa Cruz
- Capitola City Clerk: 420 Capitola Ave., Capitola
- Watsonville City Clerk: 275 Main St., 4th Floor, Watsonville
- Watsonville Public Library: 275 Main St., 1st Floor, Watsonville
For a full list of voting and drop box locations, click here.