Watsonville High freshman Layla Ruiz and senior Daniela Salazar finished first and second, respectively, at Thursday’s Monterey Bay League Pacific division Center Meet at Pinto Lake County Park.
Ruiz finished the 3-mile course in 19 minutes, 12.48 seconds and Salazar trailed behind her at 19:32.95.
Monte Vista Christian’s Sophia Willoughby took fourth (20:48.19).
Gilroy High won the meet with a team score of 31. Watsonville was a distant third (86), Pajaro Valley High was fifth (107) and M.V.C. took sixth (110).
BOY’S CROSS COUNTRY
• Watsonville boys finish 2nd – Watsonville High’s Jesus Alvarez and Miguel Leon both finished in top 10 as individuals and the Wildcatz took second as a team at Thursday afternoon’s Monterey Bay League Pacific division Center Meet at Pinto Lake County Park.
Alvarez was seventh on the 3-mile course, finishing in 17 minutes, 41.02 seconds and Leon was ninth at 18:03.31.
Monte Vista Christian was fourth as a team. Matthew Olson was the Mustangs’ top finisher, taking 14th (18:37.28). Justin Lomeli was right behind him in 15th (18:47.38).
G LEAGUE BASKETBALL
• Hamilton makes Golden State camp roster – Santa Cruz Warriors guard Alex Hamilton made the Golden State Warriors training camp roster, the team announced on Thursday.
Hamilton played in 43 games for Santa Cruz last season and averaged 11.4 points, 4.5 assists and 3.4 rebounds per game.
Golden State’s private training camp begins today at 11 a.m. in Oakland.
MEN’S JC SOCCER
• Cabrillo 1, West Valley 1 – The Cabrillo College Seahawks played to a tie with the West Valley College Vikings on Wednesday night in their preseason finale.
Jose Magana scored an unassisted goal, while Eder Montesinos and Edi Magdaleno combined to make eight saves for Cabrillo (4-1-1).
The Seahawks begin their league season on Tuesday at home against Skyline College at 2 p.m.
WOMEN’S JC VOLLEYBALL
• Cabrillo 3, Foothill 0 – Cabrillo College made quick work of Foothill College in a 25-15, 25-19, 25-16 sweep on Wednesday night in non-conference play at Aptos.
Mari Molina had 20 assists and 14 digs and Bella Bress added nine kills, 22 assists and 11 digs.
Cabrillo (9-0) hosts the second day of the Cabrillo College Classic today at 10 a.m.
• Mt. Madonna 3, SLV 1 – Paola Jacobs had 12 kills, seven digs and two aces for the Mt. Madonna Hawks in their 25-15, 26-28, 25-21, 25-10 Santa Cruz Coast Athletic League win over San Lorenzo Valley High on Thursday.
Mara Peruzzi added seven kills, seven digs and eight aces for Mt. Madonna (5-1, 3-1), which hosts Soquel High on Tuesday at 6 p.m.
Anmei Dasbach-Prisk finished with nine digs and four aces.
• Salinas 3, M.V.C. 1 – The Monte Vista Christian Mustangs played the Salinas High Cowboys tough but ultimately fell 25-22, 23-25, 25-20, 25-15 on Thursday in Monterey Bay League Gabilan division play at home.
Cassidy Schurman had 17 kills and 10 digs and Malou Oostveen added six kills for M.V.C. (7-6, 2-1), which travels to Alvarez High on Tuesday at 6:30 p.m.
• St. Francis 3, Scotts Valley 0 – The St. Francis High Sharks swept the Scotts Valley High Falcons 25-18, 25-22, 25-11 on Thursday night to claim their first Santa Cruz Coast Athletic League win of the year.
St. Francis (6-4, 1-3) plays at Santa Cruz High on Tuesday at 6:30 p.m.
• Harbor 3, Aptos 2 – The Aptos High Mariners suffered their second straight Santa Cruz Coast Athletic League loss on Thursday night, falling in a 23-25, 25-18, 16-25, 25-18, 15-11 heartbreaker against Harbor High on the road.
Cam Dueck had 22 digs and Peyton Dueck chimed in with 17 digs, while Braelynn Westjohn and Abbi Saxton combined for 10 kills and four blocks. Dana Foley and Jillian Rodriguez combined for 23 kills and 20 digs. Chloe Manor and Dani Hewitt combined to make 50 assists.
Aptos (2-7, 2-2) hosts San Lorenzo Valley High on Tuesday at 6:30 p.m.
• Monterey 3, Pajaro Valley 0 – The Monterey High Toreadores swept the Pajaro Valley High Grizzlies, 25-19, 25-17, 25-22, on Thursday night in Monterey Bay League Pacific division play.
Jaqui Lopez had 15 assists, four kills, three aces and three digs, while Julie Che added six kills and three digs.
• Seaside 3, Watsonville 0 – The Watsonville High Wildcatz lost in a 25-11, 25-7, 25-19 sweep to Seaside High on Thursday in Monterey Bay League Pacific division action.
Watsonville returns to league action on Thursday against Gilroy High at 6:30 p.m.
GIRL’S WATER POLO
• Aptos 4, Carmel 2 – Kristen Malone scored two goals and made one assist to lead the Aptos High Mariners to a 4-2 win on Thursday in Monterey Bay League Gabilan division action.
Jordan Wagner and Skylar Poulos also scored for Aptos (6-2, 5-0), which hosts five-time defending league champ Soquel High on Tuesday at 5 p.m.
• Aptos 7, SLV 0 – Aptos High again won a Santa Cruz Coast Athletic League match in dominant fashion on Thursday against San Lorenzo Valley High at home.
Lila Sampson, Madison Lynn and Molly Mott all swept their singles matches, while the doubles teams of Magdalena Sanchez and Gianna Rovai, Amy Buchanan and Kaitlin Sakae and Lindsey Foos and Harlidgh Dooreman also won in straight sets.
Aptos (6-0, 4-0) welcomes in Santa Cruz High on Tuesday at 3:30 p.m.
• Aptos 134, Santa Cruz 140 – The Aptos High Mariners edged the Santa Cruz High Cardinals at DeLeveaga Golf Course in Santa Cruz Coast Athletic League action on Thursday.
Megan Eldredge fired a 28 to earn medalist honors for the Mariners. Gianna Marinshaw followed with a 31, Italia Riccabona shot a 35 and Sam Castaneda carded a 40.
Undefeated Aptos returns to the links on Thursday in an SCCAL match against San Lorenzo Valley High at Seascape Golf Club in Aptos at 4 p.m.