The Cover 3 Sports Ticker highlights pivotal matchups in the Games of the Week, and provides updates on local athletes in the Local Stars and Pajaro Valley Little League sections.
Games of the Week
- Aptos vs. Santa Cruz/Scotts Valley, baseball, Friday at 4:30pm: The Mariners (21-6, 14-1) will play either the Cardinals or Falcons in the Santa Cruz Coast Athletic League tournament championship at Cabrillo College.
- CCS semifinals, track and field, all-day Saturday: Local athletes will compete at the Central Coast Section semifinals at Gilroy High School with field events starting at 10am, followed by track events at 11am.
- Scotts Valley at Los Gatos, girls lacrosse, Saturday at 6pm: The No. 6 seed Falcons (14-1, 10-1) will attempt to get past the No. 3 Wildcats (16-0) in the CCS quarterfinals.
- Aptos High junior Gabe Gaeckle gave up two earned runs on four hits while recording 17 strikeouts for the Mariners baseball team in a 5-4 win (10 innings) over Harbor in the SCCAL tournament semifinals Wednesday.
- Mitty High freshman and Santa Cruz resident Evie Marheineke won both the 1,600- and 3,200-meters at the West Catholic Athletic League track and field finals on May 6. She set a personal best in the 1,600 in 5:02.62 and won the 3,200 in 11:13.83, which was 10 seconds faster than the runner-up.
- North Monterey County High senior Gaby Holmes, and sophomores Leslie Ruiz and Ariyah Morgan each hit a home run for the Condors softball team in its 4-3 win over Stevenson in PCAL Mission division action Monday.
- Watsonville High junior Ally Carmona batted 2-for-4 with an RBI and three runs scored to help the Wildcatz softball team to an 8-4 win against Gilroy in PCAL Gabilan division action Tuesday.
- Watsonville High senior Dominic Hernandez gave up one run and recorded three strikeouts for the Wildcatz baseball team in its 7-2 win against King City in PCAL Mission division action Tuesday.
Pajaro Valley Little League
- Nationals 16, Rockies 6: Tyler Brooks finished with one double, one home run and five RBIs for the Nationals (13-1) in their win May 7. Kenny Allen had a triple and scored three runs, Izzy Landa scored three runs, Jared Verdia had three base hits, one home run, four RBIs, and three runs scored, and Owen Osburn had one double and two RBIs for the Nationals. Brody Barto finished with one double and two RBIs for the Rockies (5-9).
- Twins 8, Giants 7: J.J. Martinez finished with one triple for the Twins (10-4) in their win May 6. Angelo Urabe-Chavez had a triple for the Giants (7-7), and fellow teammate Roman Magana finished with three base hits.
- Twins 12, Athletics 4: Shane McCoy had one home run and scored three runs for the Twins in their win May 5. Jacob Nielsen had a pair of base hits for the Twins, and fellow teammates Angelo Diaz had a double, J.J. Martinez had a double and scored three runs, Benjamin Rose had a pair of base hits, Isaiah Espinoza finished with four base hits and four RBIs and Timothy Ruelas had one double. Aaliyah Arellano had one double for the Athletics (0-14).
- Giants 17, Rockies 2: Angelo Urabe-Chavez finished with one double, two triples, one RBI and four runs scored for the Giants in their win May 4. Fellow teammates Layla Romero had one triple and scored three runs; Nico Walter had one single and one double and Nico Galvan finished with a pair of base hits. Isaiah Lopez had one single and scored one run for the Rockies.
- Twins 10, Athletics 4: Shane McCoy had one home run and two RBIs for the Twins in their win May 2. Fellow teammates Jacob Nielsen had three base hits, Angelo Diaz finished with one double and Timothy Ruelas had a pair of base hits. Jakari Freeman had two RBIs for the Athletics.
- Nationals 19, Athletics 8: Jared Verdia hit a home run while recording three RBIs and scored three runs for Nationals in their win April 30. Ryker Fitz added two base hits, Tyler Brooks finished with three base hits, two RBIs and scored three runs, JR Valenzuela had two base hits and Sunny Magana had two base hits and two RBIs for the Nationals. Israel Hernandez had a double for the Athletics.
- Giants 14, Twins 4: Roman Magana finished with two base hits and three runs scored for the Giants in their win April 30. Angelo Urabe-Chavez had three base hits including a triple, Nico Walter had a triple and three runs scored and J.C. Magana had two base hits and two RBIs for the Giants. Shane McCoy had one base hit, one RBI and one run scored for the Twins.
- Giants 18, Athletics 8: Nico Galvan and David Vera III each had three base hits and scored three runs for Giants in their win on April 29. Roman Magana three base hits including a double and two RBIs and three runs scored. Nico Walter finished with a triple, a home run and three RBIs for the Giants, and fellow teammates J.C. Magana had two base hits and Deegan Cawaling had three base hits including a triple. Aaliyah Arellano had two doubles and Jakari Freeman had one double for the Athletics.
- Nationals 16, Rockies 8: Tyler Brooks a pair of base hits including a home, three RBIs and four runs scored for the Nationals in their win April 27. Izzy Landa scored three runs and Sunny Magana finished with one double for the Nationals. Chris Sigala had a pair of base hits including a triple for the Rockies, and fellow teammate Malachi Henderson had one double.
- Twins 19, Rockies 9: Timothy Ruelas had a pair of base hits and three RBIs for the Twins in their win April 25. Jacob Nielsen and Mason Borrmann each had one double, J.J. Martinez, Shane McCoy, Benjamin Rose and Isaiah Espinoza each scored three runs for the Twins. Isaiah Lopez had two base hits and scored three runs for the Rockies, and fellow teammates Eduardo Castaneda had two base hits and Sawyer LaGrange had one double.