This week’s edition of the Pajaronian Sports Ticker highlights local prep athletes for their performances during the week of Feb. 20-26.
Coaches and athletic directors are encouraged to submit scores and stats to [email protected]. Follow sports editor Juan Reyes on Twitter @jmreyes831 for scores and news updates.
Preps of the Week
Boys: Pajaro Valley High senior Ignacio Aguado recorded a goal and an assist for the No. 7 seed Grizzlies boys’ soccer team in its 2-1 win over No. 3 Sequoia in the Central Coast Section Division I semifinals in Redwood City on Feb. 22. Aguado finished with a team-best 14 goals and was second in assists with 14 for Pajaro Valley, which finished with a 17-2-4 overall record and won the Pacific Coast Athletic League Cypress Division by going 10-1-1 in league play this season.
Girls: Monte Vista Christian senior attacker/midfielder Courtney Miller recorded five goals and four assists for the Mustangs girls lacrosse team in its 16-2 win over Aptos High in non-league action on Feb. 23. Miller–who committed to play next season at Concordia University Irvine–added seven goals and a pair of assists in a 17-8 victory against Harker School in non-league play on Monday. MVC (2-0) will play at Live Oak on Thursday at 7pm.
- Aptos High junior Janie Houser finished with a 2-2 overall record in the 126-pound weight class at the California Interscholastic Federation Wrestling Championships at Bakersfield on Feb. 23-25. She bounced back in the consolation bracket with a 4-1 decision win over Regina Seyfi of Burroughs, but then she lost her match to Carmella Foley of James Logan in a 5-1 decision in the Round of 8.
- Monte Vista Christian senior Arianna Covarrubias finished with nine draw controls and an assist for the Mustangs’ girls lacrosse team in its 16-2 win over Aptos High in non-league action on Feb. 23. Fellow senior teammate Riley Driscoll recorded a pair of goals and an assist, while junior Kyra Driscoll added three goals and three assists for MVC (2-0), which will play at Live Oak High School in non-league play on Thursday at 7pm.
- North Monterey County High junior Brooke Ramirez had three hits for the Condors softball team in its 14-2 win over Gonzales High in non-league action Feb. 22. Johana Alonzo had a multi-hit game, Ame Visesio recorded the complete game in the circle and Ariyah Morgan played outstanding defense for NMC (1-0), which will play at Pacific Grove on Friday at 4:30pm.
- Pajaro Valley High sophomore Kristof Garcia scored on a penalty kick for the No. 7 seed Grizzlies boys’ soccer team in its 4-1 loss to No. 5 Bellarmine in the CCS D-I finals on Feb. 25. Pajaro Valley finished with a 17-2-4 overall record and won the PCAL Cypress Division with a 10-1-1 record in league play this season.
- St. Francis High junior Sam Braun led the No. 4 Sharks boys’ basketball team with seven points in its 76-26 loss to top-seed Priory in the CCS D-V semifinals on Feb. 23. Sophomore guard Nash Horton added five points for St. Francis, which finished with an 18-8 overall record and won the PCAL Cypress Division crown going 12-2 in league play.
- Watsonville High senior Danisha Nuñez finished with a 2-2 overall record at the CIF Wrestling Championships at Bakersfield on Feb. 23-25. She won her 101-pound weight class consolation match over Josie Benitez of Kingsburg High in a 3-2 decision in the Round of 8 on Feb. 24. Nuñez then dropped the following match to Jaylee Cazares of Brawley by fall in 1:29.
Games of the Week
- Watsonville High Tournament, softball, all-day on Saturday: The Wildcatz (1-0) will host a one day tournament at Watsonville High School. The ‘Catz–who beat Stevenson,10-6, in the season opener–will play against Soquel at 10am and Los Altos at 11:45am.
- Watsonville vs. Greenfield, baseball, Friday at 6:30pm: The Wildcatz (0-1) will close out their non-league portion of the schedule against the Bruins (1-0) before starting PCAL Mission Division play against North Monterey County High (0-2) on March 7 at 5pm.
- Monte Vista Christian vs. Pioneer School, girls lacrosse, Friday at 7:15pm: The Mustangs (2-0) are on a roll to begin the season and will return home to take on Pioneer (1-0) in non-league action.